Something old; something new; something borrowed; something blue; but being prepared is what’s tried and true!
The plans are underway; decisions being made; excitement is in the air and it’s time to start planning for the moment when all eyes will be on you!
Just like planning the main event, your beauty regime should start at least six months prior to the big day.
When you start shopping for your dress, it is also the perfect time to decide on the style of bride you want to be!
Are you the traditional bride; does your style lean towards a bohemian bride; a modern bride or a vintage bride? Will you be getting married in a church, a park, on the beach or your backyard? Will you be wearing a veil, flowers in you hair or other hair accessories. Will your jewelry be bold and dramatic, a family heirloom that has been passed down to you or delicate and simple? So many questions……
“And what should I do with my body, hair and makeup?!”
It is important to start by adding a daily exercise routine to your schedule. Don’t be alarmed if you start to break out you body is cleansing from the inside out and will have plenty of time to balance itself. Go to the gym or work with a personal trainer.
Plan Healthy Meals
Nutrition plays an important role in your appearance. Stick to a healthy diet or consult a nutritionist. It’s a good idea to add a daily probiotic to your diet, research shows it decreases your chance of catching a cold by 35%. If you do feel a little under the weather take zinc which can shorten the length of time you are sick by up to 40%. Remember it’s ok to have cheat days on occasion and especially for you bridal showers or wedding duties!
Start a Morning and Nightly Skin Care Regime
Book regular facials and make up trials testing out makeup for the perfect all day wear. The perfect time to book a trial run is for your bridal showers or stagette. Remember your closest friends will be there and they had better be honest with you! If you are going to be tanned for your wedding, whether spray or sun tanning make sure that your skin is at the desired colour before getting your make up test done.
Get your hair wedding ready
- Book regular trims!
- If your hair is unhealthy, book a deep conditioning, keratin or bonding treatment; use quality hair products consult your hairdresser for your hair options.
- Adding a daily Biotin supplement (available at health food stores) will promote healthy growth and thickness.
- When thinking about the big day make sure to find a stylist that can create the look you are going for.
- Don’t feel obligated to anyone, the best way to determine is by booking blowouts to see if they understand your style.
- It’s always a good idea to bring some pictures with you so you stylist can get an idea of what you are looking for.
- Once you have selected you best stylist match-don’t forget about the bridal party. I recommend they book blow outs with other stylists in the same salon.
- If you are planning on getting extensions, don’t leave it to the last minute, it’s always a good idea to start them at least one month in advance. This way you will be used to them and they will have started to loosen off making it easier to handle an up-do.
- The colour of your hair should be determined when you start the wedding process. It’s probably not a good idea to make any dramatic changes right before your wedding day.
- The last hair colour before the wedding, should be done around two weeks prior to the wedding.
- Adding a glossing treatment about a week before, to amp up your colour and add sheen is also a good idea.
Get Plenty of Sleep
This will replenish your body leading up to the big day – proper rest will also help boost the bodies immune system by allowing your mind and body to rest and rejuvenate itself! You are going to be feeling stressed and getting at least eight hours of sleep each night leading up to you wedding will help to decompress you…..
It will give you shinier hair and healthier skin and is important for overall health. When skin is well hydrated it is more plump and resilient. When there is more water from the inside and outside your skin looks much healthier, more vibrant and will be less prone to wrinkles. Cut back on your caffeine and sodas intake, caffeine is a diuretic and draws water out of your system and out of your skin. Pure clear water is the worlds best beauty elixir!
So, before you say I do, follow these must do’s and enjoy the perfect day, satisfied with the knowledge that you have done everything to be be the best you – you can possibly be.
What is most important to remember is that beauty begins on the inside!
Be confident, be strong and you will shine. Ultimately it’s not about the wedding it’s about marriage!
About the Author
Kole is a glamour guru and owner/operator of The Social by Red Velvet. She has worked as both a commerical and film stylist, has been a stylist for New York Fashion Week, Los Angeles Fashion Week, and North American Hairstyling Awards in LA.
Find Kole on Instagram @koledalgleish